Monday, June 8, 2009

Tenggol Island beckons......

I've always wanted to go for a holiday on an island resort. Yan mentioned that his friend, his classmate in SEMSAS, runs a resort on Tenggol Island, Terengganu. I've never heard of the island but I've always been game to try new things. So, I suggested that Yan makes enquiries and reservations.

After checking with Yana and Adek to choose suitable dates for the trip, it was finally decided that we'd go on the 5th, 6th and 7th of June.

The week before the school holidays had been pretty hectic. On Monday the 1st I was supposed to conduct a tutorial class for a group of form 3 students.

Since I was not feeling well, I couldn't go to school. I went to see the doctor and was diagnosed to have hypertension and asthma. My bp was 145/96!....and asthma? I felt even more sick after seeing the doctor...not of an illness...but more due to the diagnosis and the bill! The doctor prescribed tons of medication...pills for hypertension, pain killer, allergy, antibiotics, and asthma and a Ventolin inhaler. All these and the consultation fee cost RM75.

Never one who is disciplined at taking medications, I only took the pills for hypertension, solely out of fear of getting a stroke. The headache did subside slightly, but I was still worried that I might not be fit enough for the trip.

When Thursday came Yan, Yana and I left for Kuantan at about 12 pm. We stopped by Taman Melati for lunch. The food wasn't that good. On the way to Kuantan my head was still aching.
The journey to Kuantan took slightly longer because we were stopped for speeding!

We stopped by Kuantan to pick up Adek from UIA.

Then we procceeded to Dungun, Terengganu.

On the way, we stopped by a surau for Zohor and Asar.

By the time we got to Dungun we still couldn't find a suitable place for the night. After driving around, we decided to have dinner first.


We went to a modest eatery which fronts the sea. The food was acceptable. We enjoyed the cool sea breeze.

While having dinner, I called one of the inn, of which information I obtained from Terengganu Tourism Board's website. I was informed that the place had one vacant room for 4, and it cost only RM90.

We managed to find the place. It wasn't much. But then we only needed a place for the night. The bed was comfortable enough and the bathroom was reasonably clean.

The next morning we got up very early because we had to be at Kuala Dungun jetty by 9 am.
It turned out that the inn that we stayed in is also run by the family which runs the resort on Tenggol Island.
Read more account of the trip here and here.
To be continued........

No comments: