Monday, November 17, 2008

CELLULAR TELEPHONE

Cell phone has become a necessity rather than a luxury.

Last night, my daughter, Siti Aminah, called using her friend's cell phone to say that she's already at Masjid Jamek station on the way to KL Central and her cell phone could not be used. So, I'll have to time myself to pick her up at the Commuter Station in about an hour's time. She'll not be able to call me again because she and her friend will be going separate ways.

Usually, when I am to pick up my daughter I'll call her on her cell phone to check where she's at so I can time myself. And, when I'm already at the station I'll be able to inform her where I'm parked.

But last night, my timing had to be exact.

When my daughter had to go to a camp/course of some sort, I was kind of worried when she left early this morning without her cell phone. I felt that I have lost all contact with her and just pray to Allah that she'll be OK. It was such a relief when this afternoon my cell phone rang with her tone. Ofcourse, as usual it's a miss call! So, I had to return the call. She's just called to inform me that her cell phone is now working.

If I'm to drive long distant, I'll be very worried if I discover that I forgot to charge my cell phone. What if my car breaks down? What if I meet with an accident? What if I couldn't find my way? All three happened and I was able to call for assistance using my cell phone.

Once, my car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. I took out my cell phone and discovered that the battery was not charged. I had to walk with my two girls (then they were still schooling) to the nearest petrol station to get help.
The station did not have any mechanic. Then, I tried to use the public phone. Not surprisingly, none could be used!

That's how troublesome it is without a cell phone.

Inspite of its usefulness a cell phone can also be a nuisance if its use is being abused.

Students can copy during exams using cell phones. Students can play games or exchange text messages with their friends during lessons. Lessons could also be interrupted should a student's phone ring. When there's a fight between students, any party could use their cell phones to call their friends from outside the school to be involved in the fight.

These are among the reasons why students are prohibited from bringing their cell phones to school. And yet, some students still do. When their phones are confiscated, some parents protest and make a fuss.

It cannot be denied that a cellular telephone can at times be a necessity, but not really all the time. At times, its just a convenient instead of a necessity.

No comments: